Here you can choose in which language you would like to read our website. We are using Google Translate when translating content on this website.


Care and Social Services

Health care
If you fall ill, have a minor injury or suffer from a mental condition, you should first of all contact a care centre. Here you can get help with illnesses and afflictions which aren't so acute. These centres are run by the County Council rather than the municipality. The County Council is called Region Skåne and is responsible for hospitals, care centres and the national dental health service. In central Helsingborg you'll find Helsingborg General Hospital and several other care centres and pharmacies.

Care for the elderly
The municipality's elderly care service is for elderly people who are in need of help. There is a home-help service if you require assistance with anything you need to keep on living in your own home. The home-help service can help you with cleaning, laundry, shopping, getting out of bed and washing. They can also make sure you get any medication you might need.

There are other kinds of support, for instance emergency medical alarms, daily activity centres, and meeting places where you can get together with other people and have some company, have coffee and participate in different activities.

If you can't stay in your own home, you can apply for a place at a nursing home. Here there are members of staff working round the clock to care for the elderly and ill. There are also short-term homes where you can live for a shorter period of time.

Support for people with disabilities
If you have a disability you can get help from the municipality. For instance, you can get a personal assistant or have help with housing, or employment and recreational activities.
The Act regarding support and services for people with certain functional disabilities (Lagen om stöd och service till vissa funktionshindrade, LSS) states that the municipality shall help people with certain disabilities.

Social service
If you have trouble making ends meet and need advice on how you can pay your bills, you can talk to the municipality's budget advisers. Their guidance is free of charge if you live in the Helsingborg municipality.
The budget adviser will go through your income, expenses and debts with you, and discuss what you can do to improve your financial situation.

Social allowance
If you don't have enough money to provide for yourself and your family, you can apply for a social allowance. You may receive a social allowance even if you're not a Swedish citizen, but you need a Swedish residence permit. If you're allowed a social allowance, it means that you'll get a sum of money so you can pay for food and rent. However, you'll need to try and find work. The municipality has various different resources to help you break into the job market. In these cases it's your social welfare secretary that helps you with your planning.

Alcohol and drug abuse

Social services offer help to people who drink too much alcohol or use narcotics or other drugs. If you think you drink too much or if you know someone who does, you can contact the social services or the medical services to get help.

Children and young people
Children in need should have support and protection. If it's possible to reach an agreement with the parents, the social services provide voluntary support and help for both parents and children. As a last resort the social services can take custody of children who are severely mistreated.

People working in schools must contact the social services if they think a child is being mistreated. Social services can provide counselling, contact persons or families or different kinds of care and treatment.

You can also call the social services if you have family problems. They can provide counselling and support for children, adults and families. Help from the social services is free of charge.

The family law
You can contact the family law (Familjerätten) if any problems should arise in cases of divorce. The family law will speak with the parents. They can also help with writing agreements regarding custody, living arrangements and right of access. The family law also helps to carry out paternity tests and makes assessments when someone would like to adopt a child.

Newly arrived refugees
The municipality can offer support if you have just arrived from another country. The aim is for you to become integrated into society and start working or studying. For refugees there is a special introduction programme. For other immigrants who have come to Sweden the municipality offers Swedish education.

Refugees who obtained their permanent residence permits after 1 December 2010 are referred to the Swedish Public Employment Service which now has the responsibility for newly arrived refugees. The municipality doesn't have any responsibility for the introduction of these refugees.

The municipality still has the responsibility for the introduction of newly arrived refugees who obtained their residence permits before 1 December 2010. The aim of this introduction is to:

  • Get you to support yourself through work or studies.
  • Get you to be part of Swedish society and learn Swedish.

New in Sweden but not a refugee
If you are new in Sweden but not a refugee and still want to learn Swedish, the municipality and also Tornesdalens folkhögsola offers Swedish education (SFI, Swedish for immigrants) and civic information.

You can register for SFI at Gränsälvsgymnasiet or Tornedalenens folkhögskola. To seek employment and get more information about the job market you can contact the Swedish Public Employment Service.

Skriv ut

På använder vi cookies för besöksstatistik och för vissa funktioner i syfte att förbättra och förenkla användarupplevelsen av vår webbplats. Genom att fortsätta använda webbplatsen godkänner du vår användning av cookies. Läs mer om cookies.